Monday, March 01, 2010

Update to Beau, the boy who bites

Last Friday Beau bit our neighbor, Frankie and that was the last straw for me. I decided 100% that we would pull her out and look for another school. I even told Matt to call them to let them know but he reminded me that they needed it in writing so it would have to wait until I got home. I was already in the car heading home. Then, I get the email. Beau had been permanently removed from the school. Now, what do I do?? Just two minutes before, we were pulling her out.

Back up a month, We had previously talked to the school about moving her into the three year old class but we were told that we'd have to wait until the summer when most of the three year olds would move up to the next class. I wasn't thrilled with this but what could I do. I was anxious to have her learning more than she is. We'd wait it out and then move her up. BUT, after Beau bit her the second time, we demanded that she be removed from that class and away from him and put where we honestly felt she should be anyway. They complied, sortof. They only offer 1/2 days 8-12 but five days a week. So, not only is the day 30 minutes longer, it's three days a week more. That means that we'll have to either give up dance or see if we can move it to Saturdays.

After considering all of this, the move would now be mute since the problem doesn't exist anymore but we decided to go ahead and give the new class a try. Today was her first day. She is the smallest/youngest in her class as most of them are nearing four but she's pretty smart so I think she'll do just fine. She was sitting with another girl within a minute and before we even got out of the door doing puzzles or something. We felt pretty good about her going to the other side.

Pickup was a total 180. She seemed fine until we were in the car, she became really quiet and didn't want to talk. She was bossy, grouchy and pushing buttons like mad. We get home and she didn't want to come in the house and proceeded to scream and throw a tantrum right there in the driveway. Matt stood in the garage waiting it out until she finally came. She was still quite grouchy so I decided that I had enough and sent her to her room for her nap an hour early. Two hours later, a complete 180again. She's her normal, happy self now. Amazing what a little sleep will do.

She had to be on quite the overload. We went out with friends last night and got home later than I had wanted but she did sleep in so I didn't think too much of it. Their schedule does have quite a bit more structured activities so I'm sure her little brain was getting a work out. We're going to give it a week to see how she does and re-evaluate then.

I sure know that I got quite a bit done today and am actually looking forward to having a bit more "me" time.

No comments: