Saturday, December 19, 2009

Traditions

Myspace Christmas Graphics

I've been thinking about traditions a lot lately and decided to list mine. These are the ones that started once we came home from China. What traditions do you have?

1. Elf on the Shelf. We started this one last year. Chani is really into it this year and gets so excited when she spots his new landing spot. I find it hard to remember. She isn't so good on behaving and since she's been sick, that compounds it. We named him Sam.

2. Paper chain. You know, the red and green that you tear off each night, counting down the days. We've done this two years in a row now.

3. A new one this year, thanks Amy for the idea! Collecting Christmas books and wrapping each of them. Each night we open a new one right before bed and read them. I had several from last year that I used and added a few new ones this year. I'll put them away after the holidays for next year. They will be "new" again next year. Matt thinks I'm crazy but I'm loving seeing the excitement of her getting a new one. I didn't get started quite as early as I had hopped so now I have too many. She gets one at nap time too. They will be finished by Christmas Eve.

4. I put up two trees this year. One in the front where passer-byers can see it and our ginormous one in the great room. I'm have to say I enjoyed decorating the smaller one. It was so much easier and faster. Under it are gifts for friends, family and others. The big tree will be pretty empty for Santa to fill.

5. Along with her books, there are three gifts under the tree. These are our Eve gifts. Chani and I both get some new pajamas. Matt, on the other hand doesn't wear them. He does have a pair of holiday pants that he'll wear that one and only morning. So, each year, I rewrap the same pair for him. He doesn't think it's fair but I'm thinking it isn't practical. Guess who wins!!

6. Christmas Eve dinner is ALWAYS Chili. It always has been and always will be. Unless of course we're not at home.

7. Christmas balls. - Every Christmas since I left home at 18, my Grandma would buy me a dated ball to hang on my tree. It's been over 20 years now and I still have every one. She hasn't been able to buy them herself anymore so I'll buy them with the money she sends.

That's about all. I can't think of anything more at the moment.

2 comments:

Isabella's Mommy and Daddy said...

Love all these traditions. Traditions are sooo much fun.. the kids look forward to them every year..
Can't wait to see all the great Christmas morning photos.
Merry Christmas my friend..
Hugs..

Polar Bear said...

Those are some great traditions!! I LOVE the book/present idea. I saw that on a blog this year, and LOVED it. I may 'borrow' that one.

Have a very HAPPY New Year!!