Monday, March 23, 2009

Trial Day - A HUGE step



This last weekend, Matt, Chani and I decided to check out one of the local preschools. They had an open house and it seems like all of Chani's friends will be going to one this fall so we wanted to look into it. I had decided that I didn't want to put her in one quite yet and would wait another year at least. After all, she is only 2 whereas most of her friends are all about a year older than she is. We went to check it out with the intention of putting her on a waiting list or whatever we would need to do for the fall of 2010.

The place was clean and had separate areas for different ages. There were many stages in the room for different activities. They even had a bathroom sized for little ones. In the two year old class, she will be learning colors, shapes, how to share and interact with other kids. Each classroom has their own door that goes to the outside fenced area with slides, swings, bikes, a patio, etc. They will be planting a garden and each child will be able to help with that. They are fed snacks and lunch. There are different programs and one is twice a week for 3 1/2 hours each.

It sounds like a great place so why am I so apprehensive about taking her? I've been a wreck the last couple of nights and have decided that I'm just not ready for her to leave me yet. But, I had already committed to a trial day for this morning. I got her up and ready for the day, including breakfast and milk all before 8:00, talking about how great and fun her day would be and that we would pick her up after lunch.

Matt got out of bed and went with me. Again, I was feeling quite nervous about leaving her. We walked into the place and she felt really comfortable. We walked back towards her classroom and walked in. She was fine. She wanted to take off her jacket. She then went to a chair and was so comfortable. She knew we were going to leave her to play and was perfectly okay with it. She hugged and kissed us both and waved good-bye. I was pretty floored as to her reaction. I thought for sure that she would cling to me and not want me to leave but she was nowhere near that reaction. Now, if I can only get through the next 2 1/2 hours without her. I'm anxious to see how she liked it and if she wants to go back.

If I sign her up before the end of the month, they will waive the registration fee so I have to make a decision pretty quick. They also have the space available right now so while all her friends are waiting until Fall when the school session starts, this particular class is year round and she'll start right away. I will need to adjust her gymnastics class but I think it's doable. It will be nice to have a few hours a week to myself.

5 comments:

Lisa~~ said...

As much as we don't want them to, they grow up and become independent...boohoo. Be strong, the day is more difficult for your than for her. Also, if you sign her up with no registration fee, would you be penalized if you decided to pull her out? So, you may be able to give it a try for a month or so and see how you both like it. Hang tough Mama, you can do it!

Isabella's Mommy and Daddy said...

It is sooo hard when they first go to school..
But she will love it..
HUGS..

Wasser Family said...

Chani looked so cute on her first day of "School" we wound up sending Abigail earlier than expected as well and she did great and loves going. They learn so much and have so much fun. Hang in there it gets easier.

Pug Mama said...

what a big girl!!!!

DAVID AND AMY VENN'S WEBSITE said...

I cried all the way to work the first time that I left Emily Grace. I completely understand. If I were you, I would keep her home one more year. Does she really need that extra year of school? If I could stay home with Emily Grace, I would do it in a heart beat!!
Enjoy being with your sweet little one!!
Love the book bag!!