Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Our first runny nose

Okay, from all those been there done that mommies, how do I deal with a runny nose? Both she and I ended up getting sick yesterday. I have a terrible sore throat and a bit of sneezing. She has a bit of sneezing but now has a runny nose. It is clear, so far. She seemed fine when I put her down last night but she woke up about an hour later sounding congested. She also kept swallowing like her throat was sore too. How do I know if it is and what should I do about it? She is nowhere near bad enough for a doctor visit. I just don't want her to feel bad. Thanks!!

7 comments:

Cristy said...

Congratulations for making it so long without illness!

Our Ped recommends "Little Noses saline drops for congestion, if it is getting really bad and keeping her up, then Little Noses also makes a spray decongestant that works really well.

I usually start with the saline, and wait to see if the other is needed.

Hope you all feel better soon!

Briana's Mom said...

Oh gosh! Bri got sick too! She was up for several hours early, early Tuesday morning. I actually bought the Little Noses nose drops too, but I can't find where I stashed them. My mom told me to try Vicks Vaporub (which I still need to buy).

I took out the humidifier for Bri last night and she slept like a rock.

Buy lots of tissue!!! :)

Isabella's Mommy & Daddy said...

Sorry to hear about Chani.. hope she starts feeling better soon..
HUGS..

Randi said...

Use the humidifier!!! Johnson's makes a baby wash that smells like Vick's and will help here breathe if she is stuffy and I have put a few drops of that in the humidifier when the boys were really unable to breathe.

~ Alison & Mali ~ said...

Funny . . . Mali just started with the SAME exact symptoms!

I don't give M any type of cold medications. Yesterday I started her on Sambucol. It's herbal, so they have doses for infants, too.

http://www.evitamins.com/product.asp?pid=7430

I also use saline drops & vicks vapor rub. Tylenol/Motrin will help if her throat is sore.

Hope you are both feeling better soon!!

Beverly said...

Benadryl or Zyrtec. Vics vapo rub. Dimetapp. You probably need a mix of benadryl and a decongestant. Sudafed makes a toddler version. Glenys ended up on Rx 12 hour mix of benadryl and a decongestant from an allergist around 20 months or so. It seems to be never ending doesn't it.

3D said...

Feel better soon!

Keep smilin!