Sunday, December 09, 2007

Tienanmen Square and The Forbidden City

Oops, I messed up. We went to the Summer Palace and not the Forbidden City yesterday.
Today we hit the Forbidden City and Tienanmen Square. We saw the famous Chairman Mao photo on the Tienanmen Tower. The street vendors are out in full force so you learn to say Boo Yaow quite quickly. They will rush up to you and hold out their goods begging you to buy. We were advised not to purchase from them and to walk away.

The colors on the buildings are so vibrant and rich since they are repainting for the Olympics. We saw a pregnant woman today and it made me really wonder about the future of her baby. Would she be able to keep it and raise it or would she be adopted out to someone like us? It was quite sad really.

We visited the pearl market and saw how fresh water pearls are cultivated. Very interesting. Since I used to work in jewelry, I knew some about pearls but didn't know this. We also visited the silk factory where they walked us through the silkworm's life and how they produce silk quilts, etc. Another very interesting process. We ended up buying a quilt and a comforter which is taking up too much very valuable luggage room though. A new piece of luggage will be one of our next purchases.

We then boarded the plane to Nanchang and that is where we are tonight. I think everyone is a bit on edge and tired. Hopefully we will get a good nights sleep tonight because tomorrow at 11:30, we get the babies. There are 9 families who are getting them in our group. We split into two major groups and a couple went to different provinces. We'll meet up with the rest of the group in Guangzhou.

I'm not going to post photos until tomorrow when we get the babies. It has been an exhausting couple of days and I haven't even looked at them yet. The other group is getting their babies tonight. They probably have already by now.

A HUGE congrats goes out to Rowan and Lorraine for their referral of their little girl, Adia Lin! So happy for you guys!

And one more quick hello to Tom and Nancy's family who are reading the blog.

The next time I post, we'll be parents! How awesome is that?

13 comments:

Vanessa W said...

After all this time it must be hard to believe that in just a few hours Chanis wil be in your arms!
I'm so excited for you!

Lots of prayers for an easy transition for your little angel

Vanessa

Vanessa W said...

Sorry about the mis-spell. My typing is worse than my handwriting! :-P

Vanessa

jon-n-tracey said...

following your journey, thanks for sharing. FWIW, we didn't look at any of the video we took until about 2 and half months AFTER we came home! It's a strange mix between trying to 'be in the moment' and 'capture it all on film' - we tried to do both because 'in the moment' you are so overwhelmed with emotion, that you're not really (in the moment) - the images will take you right back to the emotions and moment, though. if you have a digital camera, try to take mpeg movie clips too, because they get the sounds and voices. anyway, Enjoy, because it's all about you and your new family now!

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

Glad to hear that all is going well... How exciting... Chani will be there soon... I have another friend (she lives near me) in Beijing right now and will get her son tomorrow... though they are getting him from just out of Beijing... all these babies getting their families today, tomorrow or the next few days is exciting...

Mick & James said...

Enjoy your special day. Hope you were able to get some well deserved rest... this was probably last one for the next 18 years.. so they say.. ha ha ha.

Lisa, Doug & Briana said...

I can't believe you are going to get Chani in a few hours. My stomach is doing flips for you right now! I will check your blog before I go to sleep tonight, but I think I will wake up and see Chani in your arms! Good luck!!!

Ladybug Hugs 4 U said...

OMG - It is the day! I am so excitied for you and I can't wait to see pictures! HUG - BIG BIG HUGS!

Oh - just have to tell you, Li Li says that she misses Miss Kathy :D

Ladybug hugs,
;D

Isabella's Mommy & Daddy said...

Sounds like you had fun today...
Can't wait to see the pictures....
You are very soon going to be mommy and daddy..
When I get home from our Christmas party I will be checking.. you should have her in your arms... YEAH....
Can't wait...
Hugs to you

Randi said...

Oh my gosh!! I am so excited. I can't wait to see the picture of you holding Chani.

Catherine said...

Oh Kathy! It's so exciting! It's already Monday morning in China as I write this and Chani will be in your arms in a few short hours! Wahoo!!! Looking forward to seeing pictures of you with your precious baby girl in your arms!

Reesie said...

Hi Kathy! I can't believe you are actually there...yay. Know I am thinking of you - have FUN!!

Theresa

Doug said...

Any minute now you'll meet the best thing that could ever happen to you! Good luck on an uneventful gotcha day (a happy Chani that isn't crying), but either way enjoy the moment.

Amy said...

Glad to see you made it! Enjoy gotcha day :)