Sunday, July 15, 2007

What a week

What a week we've had. I had 1 1/2 days to clean my house after the party on the 4th to get ready for our next guests. Pam and Steve, who we've known for many years and travel with frequently came to our house, all the way from Texas for the past week. We started out with a quiet day at home, drinking wine and playing Pictionary, girls against boys and we ended with each of us winning a game. Other than that, we just sat around, relaxing and catching up.

On Sunday, we took a road trip to Savannah, GA. After checking into our hotel, we stopped by the visitor's center and walked along with waterfront, doing some some shopping where I found the most adorable ladybug teapot. We all had fru fru drinks, even Matt, at Wet Willies and later on, dined on some Greek food. The last thing we did that evening was a ghost town trolley tour of the town that ended with a tour of the Sorrel-Weed House that is supposedly haunted. They told us the ghosts like to hide out in the corners of the room so everyone, including me, was taking photos of the empty corners, as you can see in the slide show. It was interesting to hear all of the stories of this beautiful southern town, even though we saw no ghosts. HA!

I had been listening to the story, "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil," on cassette tapes that I borrowed from the library. Whoa, those take a long time to get through. I only managed a little over half of them but I still got a good feeling for the story of Jim Mercer and his home. One of the things I wanted to do while we were in Savannah was to just go and see the house and tour it if possible. Well, we did and it was. Not too impressed with the tour but it was still fun. I only wished that I had been able to finish the book before going. I've ordered the movie on Netflix so that will be fun to watch it now. We then drove to Tybee Island, stopping along the way and touring Fort Pulaski. They did a cannon firing and we had to cover our ears because it was so loud. It rocked, or it seemed, the whole ground. We drove past the lighthouse but didn't even get out. We had lunch on the coast and then we headed to Brunswick to our new centrally located hotel room and all but me, went for a swim. Afterwards, we all walked next door to a bowling alley and played a couple of games there. Matt even drank fru fru drinks here too!

The next day, we headed to Jekyll Island where we rented a little golf cart like car and tried our hand at Geocaching. The guy told us that most of the boxes had been picked up so he didn't charge us for the GPS system. Woohoo, a freebie. Well, we started out going to the first place and, after walking into the wooded area and getting eaten up by mosquitoes, we found a box. Inside was a notepad with no pencil and a bookmark. Not too impressed so far. We then found a campground with a little store, bought some bug spray, a pen and some doodads to leave in the next box and set out for box number two. We didn't find it, nor three, four or five so we gave up. We still had fun and did a bit of shopping before the car ran out of energy. We dropped off the car to recharge and drove our car to find some more shopping before heading back to the hotel for another round of swimming. I just had to have crab legs on this trip so for dinner, we found a great place to eat. After dinner, we dropped the guys off at the arcade in the bowling alley and the girls went on to the rooms.

We then started home, but had one last lighthouse to view. We found it and walked around a little bit but didn't want to wait to tour it. Wanting to time the Atlanta traffic, we stopped at an outlet mall and walked around. Once in Georgia, we stopped at the Tanger Outlet Mall and walked around there too. It was nice being able to get out and stretch before coming back home.

Thursday, we did the local Canton things, drinking margaritas and playing Cranium.

Friday, we headed downtown to the Georgia Aquarium and then the new Coke building.

Saturday, we had to say goodbye but along the way to the airport, we stopped at The Varsity so they could experience that local attraction. After seeing them off, we stopped by the movie theater and watched Harry Potter. I liked it but Matt thought it was wasn't as well done as the others. It's been awhile since I've read the book so I didn't remember it. It seemed like a good movie to me.

We hung around the house yesterday, not doing too much. I did a bit of cleaning and Matt did some work.

That brings us back to Monday and up to date. At least I think it does and I think I remembered all the stuff we did.

And now on to the fun stuff.



7 comments:

amy said...

You were busy but it sounds like you had a blast. WE love the Greek restaurant in Savannah! We visited 2 years ago and I cant wait to go back. As soon as we got home, I had to rent the Midnight book after hearing about on all the tours. WE wanted to do the ghost tour but no time! Walking along the river was too much fun!

Mick & James said...

WOW, a piccie of Matt smiling!
What a lovely trip. I'm jealous!
Take me with youuuuuuuuu!!!

Lisa and Doug said...

Sounds like you had an awesome time with your friends! I love Savannah! I have always wanted to do the ghost tour.

I have been wanting to see the new Coke museum too!

Isabella's Mommy & Daddy said...

WOW.. great pictures.. I love turtles.. Sounds like you had a GREAT time..
Well hope your week is great..
Kim

Yes, Minister... said...

I am so glad that you had a good visit! I can hardly wait to hear all the details :D
I love Savannah!

Shayla's Mom said...

Sounds like a nice trip. I am SO loving the teapot!

Lisa
LID 11/21/05

Isabella's Mommy & Daddy said...

I love the ladybug pot... That is the cutest..
Where did you get it..
Have a great week.
Kim