Tuesday, May 08, 2007

My Dental Visit

Okay, so Mick and I must be on the same wave length with our teeth. Although I haven't been in pain like she has or need a root canal, I just went in for a regular ole cleaning. Now, I have two more appointments scheduled to go back. The one is six months out but who knows where I'll be at that time, China perhaps, or better off, home. But, the other one is the one that I'm not liking too much. The dentist told me that I need a crown put on. They whittle down your tooth and place a fake tooth on top of it. They cement it in and off you go. I'm not too sure I like this idea. They brought out a model and they had gold and silver teeth. I said NO, I don't want a gold tooth. They can do porcelain ones so that's what I opted to do. The last time I went to the dentist, (a different one) to just get a cleaning, I was advised to have an old filling replaced. Mind you, it wasn't causing me any pain or any problems, whatsoever but he talked me into having it done. Now, this is the one that needs the crown. Why is that the last two times I've been to get a simple cleaning that there is major, well major to me, work to be done and there is NO pain or problem. What happened to the old saying, "If it isn't broken, don't fix it!"

Does anyone out there have a crown? If so, did it hurt or are you having problems with it now?

6 comments:

Mick & James said...

LMAO! I going for the gold baby! BLING, BLING! ha ha ha

Reason: porcelain cracks, gold is forever! LOL

Mick & James said...

Oh, and btw - once it's in you will never know it. This is crown #2 for me. More and more fake teeth - signs of getting old.

Michaela said...

So far, I have had 2 crowns done and according to my dentist I will need 2 more -eventually (out with the old, which are gold fillings, in with the new, which means crowns). I'm surprised your dentist offered gold or silver - mine won't do that anymore.
As for the hurting part: It didn't hurt, but it was uncomfortable having to keep my mouth wide-open for that long (and it took a long time, apparently there was a lot of blood involved).The dentist said that I have a small mouth, LOL! Who knew?! At my dentist's office you get a peach smoothie and an awesome chocolate chip cookie at the end of the procedures. During the procedures, they offer spa-treatments, which is supposed to help you relax.

Georgia said...

I have 2 crowns. Been in for years. No problems. They do recommend really good flossing around them, and I do....sometimes...

My only recommendation is don't look at your teeth after they've been whittled down. My temporary one fell off while I was home wating for the permanant one. (after the dentist put it one, he thought he could have matched the color better, so I had to wait on another one ) Little nubs. Gross. Hard to get the picture out of my mind. Can you take headphones or something? That helps. I had my wisdom teeth removed that way. Eyes closed, mouth open, and tunes blaring.

Yes, Minister... said...

OH! Dan had that done last summer just after we got home from China! BIG OUCH!

amy said...

I wish the best of luck!!!! Hope you guys are doing well