Monday, December 18, 2006

Shad, my cat


Someone gave Shad to me about 14 years ago. He was one year old when I got him and has lived with me ever since. He has been with me longer than Matt, Bindi and most everything else. About two to three months ago, we were told he was beginning to have kidney failure. We attempted to put him on a special diet but he wouldn't eat it. We resorted to canned food and used that up until he stopped eating. The last couple of days he hasn't moved and lost all his muscles so he couldn't even stand anymore. He didn't seem to be in any pain but today we decided to call the vet and have him euthanized. I couldn't call and make the appointment so Matt had to do it. He scheduled it for 4:30 today. Within an hour of him making the call, Shad passed away. He died in my arms about 12:30 today. We buried him out near Dad's tree and called to cancel the appointment. Today is a sad day for me. This picture is one of my favorites of him.

5 comments:

Lisa and Doug said...

Oh Kathy - I am so sorry. Shad was so beautiful and sweet. My heart goes out to you and Matt today.

Mick & James said...

I'm so sorry Kathy. I know this is very, very difficult and there probably no words to console you.
However, we're thinking of you and know that Shad's in a better place.
Tons of hugs.
--Mick

Cindy said...

from a fellow cat lover, i am soo sorry. i dread the day that we will lose our lucy. they become our companions and are always there when you need them. so sorry.

Kim said...

I'm so sorry, my kitty Scout died of the same thing when he was 5 :(

Redheaded Chick said...

Kathy...

I am so sorry about Shad. It's awful. That's it.