Monday, October 16, 2006

Apple Festival in Ellijay


There's been a lot of talk lately about the Apple Festival held annually in Ellijay. We decided to head up there on Saturday to check it out. It was a good hour drive for us and then another 45 minutes waiting to park. The parking was "free" but it was also a fundraiser for the boy scouts who asked for a $2 donation. Each ticket then cost $5 to get in the gate. I was pretty disappointed in the festival. I had heard and expected quite a bit more in the way of apples, demonstrations, samples, etc. You know, since it is an apple festival. Instead, it was a craft show. Craft vendors selling their crafts. It was a scaled down version of the Yellow Daisy Festival. Don't get me wrong, I love craft shows but I wasn't expecting one and I know better than to bring my husband to one. He never lets me buy anything! The food that the vendors sold was regular craft fair food which I later regretted eating. There were a very few that had anything to do with apples. Next time, if there is one, I'll be more prepared. I can't complain too much, it was a beautiful day that I shared with my family and I did get to buy some mutsu apples and apple cider.

2 comments:

Mick & James said...

Yeah, that happened to us too. There's a different place to go for that, only apples and nothing more, however parking is always free.

Did you swing by Burt's since you were all they way up there, too?

P.S. We're back :)
Missed ya.

Lisa and Doug said...

Parking is definitely tough at the festival. It is basically a big craft fair. And it has gotten more and more crowded over the years.

Sorry you were a little disappointed. At least it was a pretty day!